What Teenagers Can Do - to help strengthen the family
- Consider becoming a foster parent for a teenager. Contact Fostering Washington.
- For teens, remember to -
Make Good Choices
- The decisions teens make will have a profound influence on the rest of their lives. Those decisions are influenced by your parents, friends, neighborhood, school environment, religious groups, and the media.
- Collect stories about teenagers doing heroic things or charitable acts of kindness.
Make Good Friends
- Choose good friends who share common values
and donít use drugs. We become what we surround ourselves with. Real
friends bring out the best in us, not tempt us to do something we feel
is wrong. Good friends will help you make good choices.
- Teenagers, especially young girls, feel a lot of pressure to be popular. Sometimes they have to choose between being a good friend and having good friends, and being popular at school.
- To make friends more easily...
- To have friends, you must be a friend. Spend time together, and overlook your friendsí shortcomings, just as you hope they will ignore yours.
- Don't act as if you are better than anyone else
(or even think it). Behaving like that is the quickest way to NOT make
friends. Remember not to judge harshly those who may be dealing with
- You can develop self-confidence
(which is the opposite of arrogance) even if you currently have low
self-esteem. Self-confidence is one of the most important attributes
that well-liked people possess. There are kids who are not the most
attractive or athletic, but who project a positive self-image and have
the ability to laugh at themselves. Kids like these are always
accepted, respected and well-liked, and other people will naturally want
to spend time with them.
- One way to give your self-confidence a big boost is
to participate in activities which interest you at school, community or
church organizations. You will make new friends with common interests
and values, and you will be happier.
- Be friendly and outgoing.
No one likes hanging out with a negative person. Happiness is one of
the qualities that people admire most in others. People are drawn to
others who are warm and cheerful.
- Take time to be genuinely interested in the activities, interests and conversations of others,
and you will learn to care about and serve others. Always consider
the feelings of others. Be generous with your time and talents by being
the first to help others, and you will enjoy the warm reward of making a
difference in the lives of others.
Be Kind to Others
- Be courteous, and treat everyone with kindness. Extend a hand of friendship to those around you.
- Be kind to your parents and family. When you realize that your parents are people you can talk to, the wall will come down.
- Look for opportunities to serve and help others
in your family, neighborhood, school, community, and Church. As you
lift the burdens of others, your own burdens will become lighter.