Who is THE CITY GATE?
The City Gate is a non-profit organization that is first and foremost a church with the purpose of RECLAIMING, REBUILDING & RESTORING Lost and Broken Lives. We begin this mission by providing a "gathering place" at our downtown location that is open to the public with no respect of persons. Although we do not provide overnight stay, our facility is a day shelter from the elements to the homeless.
During regular business hours we provide:
- Clothing bank
- 2nd Harvest Food Bank
- Coffee, Breakfast and Lunch
- Blankets, Sleeping Bags, Toiletries and household items
- Fellowship and activities such as crafts and movies
In addition to our regular business hours:
- Sunday church service
- Dinner-Wednesday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday evenings
- Breakfast-Saturday morning
- Alberta House low income apartments above The City Gate
- Two emergency shelter apartments
The City Gate board of trustees, staff and volunteers are not afraid to get their hands dirty. We are the ground roots of hope for those who so often aren't in a position to see anything but hopelessness. From the homeless to low-income families, youth on the streets to those who are addicts, from the mentally ill to the outcast, The City Gate provides a place of refuge from the streets in a safe and family-like atmosphere.
We believe EVERYONE has a purpose and is worth reaching. Not all respond to our touch however in over 25 years of service we have seen countless men, women and children impacted by the love, support and provision from those who so selflessly give of their time, funds and resources here at The City Gate. Together we ARE making a difference!Our History:
The City Gate was formally incorporated on April 26, 1988 as the result of several pastors from local churches banding together to create a church specifically for Spokane inner-city dwellers. For any other questions
you may refer to our website. http://www.thecitygatespokane.org
- There are many volunteer opportunities available here at The City Gate with different levels of commitment. We have several volunteers who serve once a month up to four times weekly. Volunteers are essential to this ministry. We cannot offer many of the services we do without the help of our volunteers! If you are interested in volunteering, we try to match your gifts with the volunteer opportunities we have.
- Serving at an evening meal (as an individual or a group). This could involve working in the kitchen, serving food to clients, welcoming and seating people, cleaning or checking bags.
- Sorting clothes for the clothing bank.
- Serving coffee and welcoming people during the day.
- Serving holiday meals, such as Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Men and Women's new underwear and socks
Large bags of creamer and sugar to refill containers on tables
Paper plates, cups and napkins
Men and Women's toiletries (deodorant etc.)
Hats, gloves, and scarves (seasonal only)
Blankets & sleeping bags
- If you are interested in volunteering, please GO TO our website at
and download our volunteer application. Fill it out and drop it off at The City Gate. You will then need to set up a time to meet with the Pastor or Director of The City Gate to decide where you best fit in this ministry.
February - Superbowl Party
April - Easter Dinner
August - Street BBQ
November - Thanksgiving Dinner
December - Christmas Dinner
Last Updated By: Andra Phelps