Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php:3) in /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php on line 3

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php:3) in /home/content/87/7462187/html/SpokaneCares/index.php on line 3
Spokane Recycling | Instructions and Resources, Spokane, WA
Recycle - What and Where
Spokane City and County Recycling Services
are handled by

Solid Waste Management and Single Stream

  • Blue Recycling Carts.  64 gallon (city) or 96 gallon (county) wheeled, blue curbside recycling carts.  Carts have been received by 66,000 city residents and 44,000 county residents.  

    Empty clean recyclables out of bags and boxes into the cart. 

    NOTE:  NO COST for extra recycling.  Put extra recycling in a bag, cardboard box or 32-gallon container with handles and lid.  Please label it "Recycle." 

  • Collections will be made weekly in the city of Spokane, and every other week by Waste Management in Spokane County. 

  • Old recycling bins may be kept by residents, or recycled inside your new recycling bin. 

  • New West Plains Sorting Center:  The recycled items are sorted by hand, by magnets or other specialized equipment. 

  • Acceptable items: 

    • Paper - (clean) newspapers, magazines, catalogs, phone books, paperback books, paper bags, office/printer paper, mail (window envelopes okay), junk mail, non-shiny (non-coated) paper products. 

    • Cardboard - (clean and flattened, limit 2x3 ft) corrugated cardboard, food boxes (cereal, etc.), pop boxes, shoe boxes, clean pizza boxes, egg cartons. 

    • Glass - (clean, all colors and sizes) bottles and jars.  (No caps or lids.  Labels OK)

    • Metal - (clean and rinsed) aluminum cans, aluminum foil, clean aluminum food and beverage containers, tin and steel cans, any metal cans, aerosol cans (empty with no caps or lids), small pieces of scrap metal, small metal appliances (limit 20"x20"x20", 20 lbs.)  Labels OK.  No coat hangers. 

    • Plastic - (clean)  bottles, jars (PETE) 1-7, jugs, dairy tubs.  NO plastic bags.  No caps or lids. 

    • Batteries - (see these instructions for disposing of AAA through D, including rechargeable, hearing aid, and lantern batteries)  NOTE:  Household batteries cannot be placed inside of the recycling cart.  However, they will be accepted if they are put inside of a clear plastic bag and placed on top of the recycling cart lid
      Spokane County residents:  Put batteries in the trash.  Do not place batteries in recycle bins. 

  • NOT Acceptable items:

    • Non-recyclable Paper and Cardboard - paper towels, napkins, wrapping paper, shiny or coated or laminated paper products.  Shredded paper, as it jams the conveyor belt system at the SMaRT facility. 

    • Non-recyclable Plastic - plastic bags, foam take-out containers, foam cups, foam packing peanuts, plastic utensils, prescription vials, diapers, motor oil containers, garden hoses snack bag wrappers, bows, un-numbered plastic, plastic lids.  

    • Non-recyclable Glass - window pane glass, mirrors, ceramics, dishware, light bulbs, Fluorescent tubes, broken glass, etc.

    • Non-recyclable Metal - paint cans, lids, caps, sharp metal objects, plastic appliances, etc. 

    • Miscellaneous - Hazardous waste and hazardous waste containers, Medical waste, Syringes, Sharp Metal, Liquid, Fuel tanks, Computers or TV's, Yard/Food waste, Garbage, Food-soiled items, Microwave trays, Ceramics and dishes, Electronics.

  • Spokane County Transfer Stations
    Spokane North Transfer Station
    22123 Elk-Chattaroy Road
    Colbert, WA   99005
    (509) 477-6800

    Valley Recycling Center/Transfer Station
    3941 N. Sullivan Road
    Spokane Valley, WA  99216
    (509) 477-6800

    All services are available during regular hours:   8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m daily.
    In addition, extended hours are offered between April 1 and September 30

    HHW NOTE:  Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
    Accepted at Transfer Stations on Saturdays and Sundays only. 

    They accept:  glass, cans, newspaper, cardboard, plastic, scrap metal and household hazardous waste.  Each of the 3 system transfer stations has a drop-off recycling center that accepts materials at no charge.  You can recycle all of the items accepted in curbside collection, plus colored Code 2 plastics and all types of scrap metal.  In addition to recyclables, you can also drop off household hazardous waste at no charge.  Trash is accepted for a fee.  “Clean Green” yard debris is also accepted for a fee, but rates vary depending on time of delivery.

  • Waste to Energy (WTE) Facility Recycling Center & Disposal Site
    2900 S. Geiger Blvd
    Airway Heights, WA
    (509) 625-6521
    This facility burns solid waste to recover energy in the form of electricity. 

    Wednesday:   This site and the 2 Transfer Stations (North County and Valley) are open from 7 am to 4:30 pm
    Thursdays:     ONLY the Valley site only is open until 7 p.m.
    Saturdays:      All 3 sites are open until 7 p.m.
    Sundays:        All 3 sites are open until 7 p.m.

    HHW NOTE:  Household Hazardous Waste is accepted 7 days a week.

    All facilities are CLOSED on these holidays:
    New Year’s Day
    Memorial Day
    4th of July
    Labor Day
    Thanksgiving Day
    Christmas Day

    Spokane County’s Recycling Information Hotline

            (509) 477-6800

    Spokane County Solid Waste Offices
            1026 W. Broadway Ave, 4th Floor
             Spokane, WA  99260

    Waste Management (County)
            (509) 924-9400, or
             (509) 944-3100
    They will pick up cell phones, cell phone batteries and chargers sealed in a plastic bag, newspapers, magazines, telephone books, No. 1 PETE plastic bottles, No. 2 HDPE uncolored plastic bottles, aluminum cans, tin-plated steel cans, clear and colored glass bottles and jars, regular and rechargeable household batteries, automotive batteries, corrugated cardboard and brown paper bags.  They serve 36,000 customers in urban and suburban portions of Spokane County. 

    Contact the Spokane Valley office at http://wm.com

Where to Recycle

Citizens who want to earn money

by recycling their own items may still do so, as follows:

  • Aluminum Cans – Rinse, remove any labels, and flatten cans.  Recycle in curbside blue bins or a transfer station where most will pay cash for them.  Earthworks (ADD Earthworks LINK) will pay cash for these cans.
  • Animals (dead) – Waste Management will pick up dead animals up to 15#, if they are individually double-bagged and put in the trash.  This includes pets, birds, raccoons, marmots, skunks, and other small animals—up to 15#.  Larger animals (such as a dead horse) should go to the rendering plants, or they can be taken to the North Side Landfill at 5502 W. Nine Mile Road.  
Deer (dead or injured) on the Highway—  Call the County Engineers for removal at 477-3600. 
  • Appliances (large) – American Recycling will take old microwaves, stoves, dishwashers, refrigerators. Old refrigerators and freezers, especially those built before 1990, can consume up to four times more energy than new, more efficient models.
Avista electric customers may request a free pick up for their old freezer or refrigerator, if it is in working condition and manufactured in 1995 or earlier. These old units are transported to a recycling facility operated by JACO Environmental.  The units are dismantled and recycled through a process that recycles up to 95% of the unit.  For a free pick-up, call (877) 577-0510, or visit https://www.avistautilities.com/savings/Pages/default.aspx
  • Batteries – Place all household batteries in a sealed plastic bag on top of your curbside blue bins, or take them to a transfer station.  Only cell phone and other rechargeable batteries, such as nickel-cadmium and lithium-ion types are actually recycled.  Car batteries can be placed next to your curbside bin, or recycled at transfer stations, and some recycling companies.  Earthworks will pay for vehicle batteries. 

    Batteries, Cell Phones and Fluorescent Bulbs and Tubes:
    Waste Management, http://www.thinkgreenfromhome.com
    Du-Mor Recycling, (509) 489-6482
    Earthworks Recycling
    , (509) 534-1638
  • Canned Food which is Bulging – Foods poisoned with botulism often cause cans to swell, bulge, or explode.  Double-wrap these cans in plastic bags that are tightly closed.  Place the wrapped cans in a bin for non-recyclable trash outside of your home.  If any of the cans are bulging or leaking, use gloves and eye protection when handling them.  Make sure to wash your hands well for at least 2 minutes with soap and running water afterward.  
  • Cell Phones – Delete all personal information, and seal cell phones, batteries and chargers in plastic bags and place on top of items in your curbside bin.  (Phones may be in the same bag as household batteries.)  Most cell phone retailers will take your used cell phone.  Or, recycle your cell phone and support a charity.  Donate it to a women’s shelter for domestic violence so women can call for help when needed.  
NOTE – Cell phone circuit boards can contain toxins such as arsenic, lead and mercury, many of which are Persistent Bioaccumulative Toxins (PBT’s).  These toxins can be released into the air and groundwater when burned in incinerators or disposed of in landfills, resulting in a serious threat to human health and our environment—thus, the reason to recycle them.  
  • Christmas Trees
    • Local school groups and scout troops offer Christmas tree recycling as a way to raise money.  You may drop them off for about $7, or have them picked up for about $10.  Watch the local news for locations. 
    • The city of Spokane offers a free curbside pickup to recycle Christmas trees.  Just leave fresh-cut trees without decorations or flocking, at least 3' away from regular garbage and recycling bins.  If the tree is higher than 6', cut it into pieces measuring less than 6'.  Loose branches can be bundled next to the tree.  The trees will be collected for free and sent to a composting facility where they will be chipped and turned into garden compost. 
    • Recycling Facilities - for a minimum $5 charge, drop off undecorated trees at 3 county recycling centers: 
      • Waste-to-Energy facility, 2900 S. Geiger Blvd.
      • Spokane Valley Transfer Station, 3941 N. Sullivan Road
      • North Side Transfer Station, 22123 Elk-Chattaroy Road
    • For more information about tree disposal, contact the city's Solid Waste Management department at (509) 625-7878.
  • Corrugated Cardboard & Brown Paper Bags – Flatten cardboard and bundle into pieces no larger than 2’ x 2’.  Corrugated cardboard can be put in curbside recycling bins if it is cut down to a manageable size and bundled, or taken to a transfer station.  Recycling companies will pay for cardboard, and good-quality moving boxes can often be resold.  Earthworks will pay for flattened, rippled layer cardboard.  Earthworks, as well as some moving companies, resell moving boxes and packing materials, including Styrofoam packing peanuts and bubble wrap.
  • E-waste.E-waste is electronic waste which contains hazardous materials that are harmful to our environment.   E-Cycle Washington is a FREE program that provides responsible recycling of unwanted
    • computers (including laptop and “tablet” PCs)
    • monitors
    • televisions
    • e-readers
    • other electronics which contain a number of potentially toxic substances.     
Washington State law requires businesses to safely dispose of any hazardous waste, including computers.  As of January 2009, Washington state consumers are now able to drop off e-waste for free at designated recycling plants, to encourage recycling and reuse of PC components and to remove them from the waste system.  This will keep toxic and heavy metals out of our landfills and incinerators.

Recycling is provided FREE of charge to households, small businesses, public schools, small governments and charities (with fewer than 50 employees) at authorized collection sites.  
Go to http://www.ecyclewashington.org to find a location near you. 

Resources accepting Computers, Monitors, and TV’s: 
(Please CALL before dropping them off.)  

200 E. Second, Suite A, or
4019 E. Central, Spokane, WA
(509) 325-4489
This nonprofit employees disabled people to recycle e-waste.

D-Mor Recycling
(509) 489-6482

Earthworks Recycling
(509) 534-1638

Goodwill Industries
(Televisions, Computers, Monitors)
(509) 838-4246

Inland ReTech
(509) 326-1165

Pacific Steel and Recycling
1114 N. Ralph Street
Spokane, WA  99202  (south of SCC under the overpass)
(509) 535-1673
Buys most household and commercial recyclables (aluminum cans, scrap metal, old appliances and autos) 

Recycle Techs
6810 E. Appleway Blvd.
Spokane, WA  
(509) 926-1605
They will refurbish newer-vintage computer equipment for resale after deleting all data from the hard drives.  All recycled products are dismantled in the shop, and the parts are sent to a state-approved precious metal extractor.  A small charge may apply for disposing of printers, scanners, fax machines, or other items.  They also sell and service used computers. 

Salvation Army
(509) 325-6810

Spokane’s Waste-burning Incinerator on the West Plains allows residents (not businesses) to dump computer parts at cost, based on weight. 
  • Glass Bottles and Jars Only – Clear, brown, or green glass bottles and food containers must be rinsed and lids removed.  Labels may be left on.  They can either be recycled in curbside bins, taken to a transfer station, or some recycling facilities.  
  • Hazardous Household Waste (HHW)

    Spokane County Solid Waste HHW Drop-offs:
    • Valley Transfer Station
      3941 North Sullivan
      Spokane Valley, WA
      Only accepted Saturday & Sunday.

    • North County Transfer Station
      22123 Elk-Chattaroy Road
      Colbert, WA
      Only accepted Saturday & Sunday

    • Waste-to-Energy Facility
      2900 South Geiger Road
      Airway Heights, WA
      Accepted 7 days a week
    • Sunshine Disposal & Recycling
      Spokane Valley, WA  
      (509) 924-5678
      Accepted 7 days a week

      ELDERLY and the PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED:   “Spring House Greening.”  This program’s purpose is to assist seniors and the physically challenged in disposing of their household hazardous waste safely.  Seniors and the physically challenged can call the pre-recorded Household Hazardous Waste Hotline number at (509) 228-3193 to ask for a pickup, and someone will return your call.

      BUSINESSES:   Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators (CESQG)
        Businesses with small amounts of HHW can call 1-800-228-7872 to schedule a drop-off appointment through Stericycle to dispose of HHW at the North or Valley Transfer Stations on Saturdays & Sundays. There is a fee for this service, and Stericycle should be able to provide that information when they call to schedule an appointment.

      For detailed information about what materials are accepted, visit

  • Household Chemical Products.  Many household products can be recycled and given to others for FREE.  There is a table in the transfer stations with a big sign that says:  “Free—anything on this table.”  When people offload their recyclable household hazardous waste onto carts, that material is examined by staff at the plant.  Items deemed appropriate are put on the “FREE” table—hair dye, deck stain, weed killer, lamp oil, wood stain, pesticides, cleaners, paint, and more.  
  • Light Bulbs - CFL.  These new energy-saving bulbs contain the toxic chemical mercury, and MUST be disposed of according to local, state and federal law.  (see http://lamprecycle.org)  Compact spiral fluorescent bulbs should be treated as hazardous waste and dropped off for FREE at any Spokane County transfer station.  
The EPA warns that if you break a CFL bulb, leave the room for 15 minutes and let it air out.  Do not vacuum the debris because that can release toxic dust into the air.  Use rubber gloves to scoop up the glass and mercury with cardboard—and throw the cardboard and broken glass in the trash (or preferably, place the fragments into a plastic bag, seal it, and take it to a recycling center).  You may also use tape to pick up the pieces on carpet.  Then, after you have removed everything visible, vacuum the area.  

The CFL energy-saving fluorescent light bulbs have also been cited as a possible cause of migraines, seizures, and the aggravation of skin rashes in people with lupus, eczema, and dermatitis.  

A CFL uses up to 75% less energy than an incandescent bulb, but provides the same amount of light.  

The U.S. government is establishing a Light Bulb law, to phase out the sale and use of all incandescent 100, 75 and lower wattage light bulbs by the year 2014.  (Associated Press, Dec. 17, 2011) 

A 2010 Washington State law requires fluorescent bulbs and other lights that contain mercury, such as high-intensity discharge lamps, to be recycled. 

Learn more about the danger of broken bulbs by viewing House of Representative Ted Poe’s insightful CFL bulb report on video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhQLie6a4E
EPA:  https://www.epa.gov/cfl/cleaning-broken-cfl#qi

Fluorescent Bulbs and Tubes, Cell Phones and Batteries:
Waste Management,
Du-Mor Recycling, (509) 489-6482
Earthworks Recycling
, (509) 534-1638

Recycle lights for FREE in Washington State!  Individuals and businesses can recycle lights at no charge by dropping them off at more than 220 Light Recycle collection sites around the state, including many hardware stores, solid waste drop-off sites and municipal offices. 
Visit http://www.LightRecycle.org to find a collation site near you. 
  • Magazines – Put in brown paper bags and recycle in curbside bins, or at a transfer station.
  • Medications – Help reduce drug accessibility, medication misuse, and accidental poisoning among children. 

    • Dispose of Unwanted Medications properly.  Protect our drinking water and environment, and prevent children from overdosing on someone else's medication. 

      Dispose of leftover or expired prescription and over-the-counter medications at the following locations, during business hours: 

      Spokane Police Dept.

      Public Safety Bldg. (inside)
      1100 W. Mallon Ave
      Spokane, WA  99201
      (509) 625-4100

      Spokane Police - Downtown Precinct
      221 W. First Avenue
      Spokane, WA  99201
      (509) 622-5823
      2 pm - 4 pm
      Mondays and Thursdays

      Spokane Police - North Precinct
      5124 N. Market St.
      Spokane, WA
      (509) 363-8281
      9 am - 4:30 pm
      Monday through Thursday

      Walgreens (this location ONLY)
      7905 N. Division
      Spokane, WA  99208
      (509) 467-8361
      Drug disposal kiosk is inside the store. 
      (available during store hours only)

    • Check with your pharmacy.  Ask if they will take back your unused, disposable medications. 

    • FREE Opioid Disposal option.  Walmart offers a free solution to safely dispose of unused prescription meds.   Dispose Rx contains a powder in a small packet; and when poured into a prescription bottle with warm water, it turns the opioid into a useless biodegradable gel.  The gel can then be thrown into the trash.  The packets are given free with Walmart opioid prescriptions.  The disposal packets also work on other prescription drugs and for pills, tablets, capsules, liquids or patches.  Walmart says its pharmacy customers can request a free opioid disposal packet at any time.   ("Walmart offers means to neutralize, dispose of opioids," Associated Press, and CBS News, January 18, 2018)

    • Spokane County has a solid-waste program at the Waste to Energy Facility, where unused medications are burned in a hot garbage incinerator.

      Prescription medications are considered Household Hazardous Waste.  The North & Valley Transfer Stations no longer accept prescriptions at the HHW Drop Sites. 

      Spokane County Solid Waste advises residents to mix their prescriptions with dirt, coffee, kitty litter, or anything to make it unusable (pepper, lotion, etc.), remove labels, and put into their trash, which is then incinerated at the WTE. If you want to pay the $15 minimum disposal fee at the Transfer Stations, you can take it there, and it will be incinerated at the WTE.  Both Transfer Stations and the WTE accept sharps at the regular garbage rate if put in a thick, plastic, puncture-proof container with a sealing lid like a laundry detergent bottle or orange juice bottle. Milk jugs tend to have thin plastic and could puncture if stepped on, so we encourage residents not to use milk jugs.

    • Flush prescription drugs down the toilet ONLY if the patient information says it is safe to do so. 

    • Crush medications, then mix them with an undesirable substance, such as kitty litter or coffee grounds—then, put them in a bag and throw in the trash.

    • Secure medications at home.  Parents and grandparents—lock up your medicine cabinets.  Nearly l in 5 teenagers say it is easier to obtain prescription drugs than it is to buy marijuana, beer or cigarettes.  If you have pain medications which you no longer need, get them out of your house. 

    • FYI – In British Columbia drug manufacturers have helped fund this solution for a decade.  Drug companies should accept a responsibility in helping get their drugs out of circulation. 

  • Mercury – Household items containing mercury include the CFL spiral energy-saving fluorescent light bulbs (see light bulbs above), mercury thermometers, blood pressure monitors, and mercury switches in thermostats.  When mercury warms, it vaporizes and produces toxic fumes.  Proper storage and disposal are critical.  Seal the items in plastic bags, and dispose for free at System Transfer Stations and the Household Hazardous Waste Facility at the Waste to Energy Facility.  To learn more about mercury-containing products, visit http://ecy.wa.gov/mercury/index.html.
Speak to your dentist to limit the risk of mercury in the silver amalgam fillings—which contain 50% mercury.  
  • Metals – Earthworks will pay for aluminum cans, aluminum, copper, brass, non-magnetic stainless steel, lead, and catalytic converters.  
  • Miscellaneous – Many other items can now be recycled at the transfer stations, such as colored plastic bottles, screens from screen doors, old plumbing parts, aluminum tubing from lawn chairs, and some car parts (like car batteries).  Call the recycling hotline at (509) 477-6800 for specific information.  
  • Newspapers (including advertising inserts) – Put in a brown paper bag and recycle in curbside bins, or at a transfer station.  Almost all recycling facilities will pay cash for old newspapers.  Some non-profits, including the Lions Club, collect and recycle newspapers to raise money.   Earthworks will pay cash for newspapers.  
  • Pallets (wooden) – Earthworks will pay for these.  
  • Paper – Earthworks will pay for “white” office paper.  Purchase paper products labeled “100% recycled.” 

    DeVries Business Services
    601 E. Pacific Ave
    Spokane, WA  99202
    (509) 838-1044
    M-F  11:30 am - 4:30 pm
    Cost:  $5/box
    They offer shredding services to residents and businesses to protect their confidential documents from identity theft. The shredded paper is recycled. 
  • Phone Books – Recycle “on top” of the curbside bin, or at most transfer stations.  Earthworks will pay for 10 or more.
  • Plastic Bags -   Plastic bags may take 500 to 1,000 years to decompose in landfills.  Request paper bags, or use reusable shopping bags made of natural fibers or recycled materials to hold groceries without harming the environment.  Purchase one, or just grab an old tote from home.  
  • Plastic Water and juice Bottles – The safest plastics are labeled No. 1, 2, 4 or 5.  Remember, the plastic from many disposable water or juice bottles has been shown to leach toxins into the drinks.  
  • Plastic Bottles and Jars, Code 1 (PETE) –   Used bottles for soda and other beverages.  Rinse plastic bottles and jars, and discard lids.  Labels may be left on.  Check the neck—only plastic bottles with necks smaller than their bases are accepted.  Recycle in curbside bins or at transfer stations.  Some recycling companies will charge a fee.  
  • Plastic Bottles and Jugs, Code 2 (HDPE) – Uncolored Code 2 (used in milk jugs).  Rinse and flatten.  Discard lids.  Labels are OK.  Check the neck—only plastic bottles with necks smaller than their base are accepted.  Uncolored bottles and jugs include milk jugs and similar containers.  Recycle in your curbside bin.  (Colored Code 2’s are accepted at Waste to Energy and Transfer Station recycling centers.)  
  • Printer and Toner Cartridges – Spent cartridges can be dropped off at some office supply stores, like OfficeMax and Staples, or taken to
Cartridge World
927-1077, 465-8900, 489-3000

Earthworks Recycling

Inland ReTech

Kershaw’s, Inc.

Rapid Refill Ink
  • Tin Cans – Rinse, place lid inside can, and flatten cans.  Labels no longer have to be removed from tin cans.  Place in curbside bin.    
  • U.S. Flags – The Veterans of Foreign Wars will take old and/or worn U.S. flags for proper disposal.  Flags can be dropped off at the VFW, located at W. 300 Mission in Spokane, between 10 a.m. and 10 p.m., Monday to Saturday, and noon to 8 p.m. on Sunday.  For more information, call the VFW at (509) 327-9847.
  • Vehicles - Union Gospel Mission Motors will pick up donated vehicles for FREE.  They do all the paperwork.  Help this nonprofit serving the homeless in our community.  7219 E. Sprague, Spokane, (509() 327-HELP, or http://www.ugmmotors.org

  • Wrapping Paper – The Spokane County Air Pollution Control Authority says that burning wrapping paper and plastic is bad for your health.  Plastic contains cyanide or other carcinogens.  Flames from wrapping paper tend to reach higher into the chimney, putting homes at risk for chimney fires.  Either recycle wrapping paper, use it again next Christmas, or dispose of it in your trash.
  • Yard Waste – 

    Clean Green (Yard Waste) can be taken to the Transfer Stations.  The rates do not vary depending on the time of delivery. The rate is a $5 minimum up to 220 lbs., or $47 per ton that is pro-rated based on how much the load weighs.  (The tonnage fee may increase in 2017.) 

    Contact Master Composters at the Spokane Regional Solid Waste System to either learn how to compost your yard and garden debris, or to give them your tree and bush prunings, yard and garden debris, pine needles, and leaves to be chipped and composted for free twice a year.  Burning natural vegetation produces toxic air pollutants.  As a result, burning yard and garden debris was prohibited in all of Washington’s Urban Growth Areas as of January 2007.

Local Organizations
Additional Resources

RECYLING Businesses

Some businesses will pay you to recycle.

Action Recycling

911 E. Marietta Ave. 
Spokane, WA
(509) 483-4094,
Cans, newspaper, phone books, cardboard, X-ray film, scrap metal, car batteries, iron and non-iron metal.

American Cashbox Recycling
917 E. Trent Avenue (Trent & Hamilton intersection)
Spokane, WA
Collects and pays for used, non-damaged clothing, household items, baby products.  It does not buy furniture or electronic items.  The items are shipped to a distributor in Chile where the recycled items are mended and resold to South American retailers.
American Recycling
6203 E. Mission Avenue
Spokane Valley, WA
(509) 535-4271
Aluminum cans, newspaper, cardboard, scrap metal, large appliances (stoves, microwaves, dishwashers, refrigerators—CALL FIRST—No Freon), household batteries. 

Busy Bee Landfill & Wood Recycling
14910 W. Craig Road
Spokane, WA
(509) 244-5049
Concrete, asphalt, glass, metal, lumber, some yard waste

Cartridge World
(509) 927-1077, 465-8900, 489-3000
printer and toner cartridges,

Cheney Recycling Center
(Cheney residents ONLY) 
100 Anderson Road
Cheney, WA
(509) 235-1456
Glass, cans, newspaper, cardboard, office paper, plastic, phone books, motor oil, car batteries. 

Clark’s Recycling
Aluminum cans, metals, newspapers, magazines, stainless steel, brass, copper.  
Valley:                   11913 E. First Avenue, (509) 922-2264
Westside Center:  1730 W. Sinto Ave. (509) 328-4086

Clean Green Recycling:  See the Recycling information pages in the front of the Qwest phone book.

Dickson Recycling
907 N. Dyer Rd
Spokane, WA
(509) 489-6482, 535-6146, 489-6482
Aluminum and Tin cans, iron and non-iron metal. 

Du-Mor Recycling
(509) 489-6482
Aluminum and tin cans, metals, newspapers, magazines, plastic bottles, paper, cardboard, electronic waste, batteries.   6404 N. Perry St.

Earthworks Recycling
(509) 534-1638
Accepts a wide range of recyclable materials, and they also sell recycled items.  Open Mon-Sat, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., 1904 E. Broadway Avenue (at Napa), Spokane, WA   99202.  Please call for details, or check the Web site at http://earthworksrecycling.com.

They will PAY you for these items:  aluminum cans, corrugated cardboard, metals, newspapers, white office paper, pallets, vehicle batteries, and phone books.
They will accept but NOT pay for these items:  aluminum foil, books, packing peanuts, bubble wrap, magazines, cell phones, colored office paper, household batteries, toner and inkjet printer cartridges, and eyeglasses & hearing aids.  
They will CHARGE to recycle these items:  Large appliances, glass bottles and jars, plastic bottles (Code 1 PETE, Code 2 HDPE), mixed waste paper, steel and iron, tin cans, wood waste, and electronic waste.
Fairchild Air Force Base Pollution Prevention and Recycling Center
(ONLY with access to the AFB) 
2000-A Fairchild AFB
(509) 247-2885
Aluminum and tin cans, glass, newspapers, phone books, magazines, paper, cardboard, plastic bags, CODE 1 and 2 plastic, auto and household batteries, oil, antifreeze, toner and inkjet cartridges. 

Got Junk?  
Call 1-800-GOT-JUNK (national number)
They charge a fee to pick up, recycle or donate everything they can.  Usable items go to local charities; wood, metal and paper go to recycling companies; and building materials go to Habitat for Humanity.
Inland ReTech: 
7203 E. Nora Ave.
Spokane, WA
(509) 326-1165
They have pickup sites for e-waste downtown and in Spokane Valley. 

Medical Lake Recycling 
851 S. Lefevre St.
Medical Lake, WA
(509) 299-7715
Glass, cans, newspaper, cardboard, office paper, plastic, batteries. 

Pacific Steel and Recycling
1114 N. Ralph St.
Spokane, WA
(509) 535-1673
Aluminum and tin cans, paper (including mixed waste), cardboard, newspaper, phone books, magazines, CODE 1 and 2 plastic, scrap iron and metal, glass, car bodies. 

Rapid Refill Ink 
Printer and Toner Cartridges. 
1521 N. Argonne #F
Spokane Valley, WA  99212
(509) 892-0400

Recycle Techs 
12928 E. Indiana Ave., Suite 7
Spokane, WA
(509) 926-1605
Refurbishes and recycles computers and accessories.  There is a small charge for computers and monitors.
M-F 10-6 and Sat 10-5

Spokane Recycling Products
         3407 E. Main Ave.
         Spokane, WA
         (509) 535-0284
         Paper, newspaper, cardboard, aluminum and tin cans, CODE 1 and 2 plastic bottles, carpet
         pads, and glass.