There are quite a lot of new tools
for monitoring teen activity, but almost all of them have workarounds
or drawbacks. Some families do not allow their children to have
internet enabled phones, which are too much of a temptation, because
there are too many workarounds that other youth will describe and
- Parents may limit how many minutes
teens can put on their cell phones, how many text messages they can
send and receive, and how much can be spent on ring tones and games.
- Parents may prevent teens from texting during school,
talking after 10 p.m., calling or receiving calls from a particular
person, block visits to particular web sites, and track the actual
location of their children carrying cell phones.
- Parents may set up the cell phone so teens can call or text them anytime.
- Parental Controls on iPhone video
- Windows Parental Controls: download a free plug-in, Windows Live Family Safety
- Parents can monitor smartphones and online activity to help prevent bullying, head off a possible suicide, and keep teens out of dangerous situations. (Source: "Teen tracking apps: Good parenting or risky?", USA Today, Sept. 17, 2014,http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/personal/2014/09/17/teens-parents-tracking-apps-security-mamabear-teensafe/15716335/ )
- Mobicip - Safe, secure customized Internet for mobile devices (iPhone, Android, tablets)
- YouTube Filter
- 12 Apps that Ever Parent of a Teen Should Know About:
Audio Manager, Calculator%, Vaulty, Snapchat, Burn Note, Line, Omegle, Tinder, Blendr, KiK Messenger, Yik Yak, and Ask.fm. (Source: The Huffington Post, February 17, 2016) http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/the-12-apps-that-every-parent-of-a-teen-should-know-about_us_56c34e49e4b0c3c55052a6ba
- TeenSafe Phone Tracker - built by Parents for Parents. Monitor your children's texts, calls, social media, phone location, and more. https://cp.teensafe.com/
- Some parents rely heavily on OpenDNS, a free wifi filtering
service — it redirects all internet activity on your wifi signal to a
different Domain Naming Service (DNS) that can be filtered based on your
preferences. It works through your router. It filters everything from
gaming, gambling, pornography, and lingerie sites to cheating, dating,
video sharing, social media, etc. It has robust options to customize to
each family’s preferences. It is a baseline tool, and every family
needs some sort of filtering support. It also disables the capabilities
of browsers to support “private browsing,” if you select that option.
You can see every website that is visited from any device that is using
that signal. It is a free service.